Psalm 142 Lectio Divina (Lectio in Groups)
Lectio: Read Psalm 142.
- As you read a second time, highlight the verses that describe the Psalmist’s words about God.
- A third time through, highlight the verses describing the people surrounding the Psalmist.
- What do you see? What words or phrases seem particularly personal to you? Write them down.
Meditatio: Focus on the words you wrote down. Repeat them aloud several times. Allow them to become a part of you.
Oratio: Read the Psalm as a prayer to God. Personalize if that is helpful in speaking to your situation.
Contemplatio: Repeat the words of verse 3 and 5: “When I am overwhelmed, you alone know the way I should turn. . . .You are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life.” Consider:
- From what do you need refuge?
- How does God provide that refuge for you?
- What do you want in life? Make a list.
- Reflect on what it would mean for you if the words “You are all I really want in life” were true for you all the time. Write your reflections in your journal.
- Thank God for his faithfulness and steadfast love.