- Read through Psalm 57.
- Read again, noting the words and phrases that speak of lament and distress.
- Read a 3rd time, noting the words and phrases that speak of praise and thanksgiving.
- Compare the parts of the Psalm that speak of lament and those that speak of praise. Meditate on the contrasts.
- Where do you find yourself in this mix?
- Where can you find praise and thanksgiving in the midst of trial and suffering?
- Reflect on these questions and record your reflections in your journal.
- Repeat the words of the Psalm as a prayer.
- Ask God to give you a heart of thanks even in difficult times.
- Repeat the verses that allow you to pray with your whole heart.
- Be silent in the presence of God.
- Repeat the words from the Psalm that bring comfort to you. Rest in that comfort.
- End your time with a song of thanksgiving.