Read: In this passage, Jesus sends his disciples out with instructions and warnings.
- Read the entire chapter of Matthew 10 to understand the context.
- Read Matthew 10:5-33 a second time, highlighting the verbs — Jesus’ instructions to the disciples.
- In a different color, highlight the promises given in these verses.
Reflect: Focus on verses 26-33.
- What do these verses say about light and darkness?
- The phrase “Don’t be afraid” is repeated three times – the Hebrew way of emphasizing a point. What are the disciples not to fear?
- What assurances and promises are given?
- What are the warnings?
- Where do you find yourself in these verses?
- How do you hear God speaking to you and your situation?
- What changes need to be made in your life if you are to hear these words as spoken to you?
- Name your fears and pray for the courage to overcome them.
- Name your doubts and pray for trust to believe the promises.
- Pray for the Light of the World to shine into the dark places of your soul.