Read through several times the 15 verses composing the 3rd Epistle of John.
OBSERVATION – What does the text say?
*You may choose to create a chart to list the following after you have first made the observations during multiple readings of the text:
- WHO? Highlight the names or groups of people, each in a different color. Denote the descriptive adjectives for each.
- WHAT did they do? Indicate the verbs used to refer to each of the above, observing the tenses.
- HOW was the action carried out? Notice the descriptors or additional details.
- Select the reason given in the text for WHY the action took place.
- Add any OTHER additional information about this person or group.
|John||the Elder||writing the letter||joy||children following the truth||hope to see you soon and talk face2face|
INTERPRETATION – What did the text mean to the original listeners?
- Study the chart. Infer from the patterns and emphases what seem to be the concerns of the author.
- Mull over the author’s imperative statements. Consider what may have been the situation/s that raised the need for these commands.
- Summarize the prominent idea of the author.
APPLICATION – How does this text apply to our lives?
- Is there an example you might want to imitate?
- How are the following words of the author pertinent in your congregation at this time?
- John’s words of praise?
- His concerns?
- Any imperative statements for action?
- Spend some time in silence to absorb what you have learned and heard. Give thanks.