Begin with prayer and your eyes on God.
OBSERVE carefully what the passage says in context:
- Read the passage at least 3 times. You may opt to copy it into your journal or read it out loud.
- Circle the key or repeated words and phrases.
- Indicate the phrases that are God’s actions and those that are human action.
- Notice the verb forms; what do they indicate?
INTERPRET what the author was communicating:
- Select titles for the each of the 3 paragraphs.
- Record any questions that have come up as you observed.
- Summarize what you think the author wanted to transform.
APPLY the passage to your own life:
- Consider what the Holy Spirit prompting in you:
- Is there anything to confess?
- Are their habits to be changed? How might you go about this?
- Is there a relationship to be changed or healed?
- Is there a new challenge or action to begin?
- Choose a phrase from this passage that leads to you God.
- Write it on a clean page in your journal.
- Spend about 15 minutes with that phrase in God’s presence. You don’t need to say anything.
- Allow images and thoughts from God to come to mind. If you are distracted, return to the phrase that helps you focus on God.
- Journal what has come to mind.