Read 1 JOHN 3:1-10 several times. Chapter 3 would be best studied as one section, but to make the length more manageable, the chapter is divided into two sections. This lesson covers only vs 1-10.
For more details on Inductive Bible Study steps and principles, see the page on this web page.
- Highlight the key words and phrases.
- Note the verb tenses.
- Identify the actors and the actions of each.
- List the contrasts.
- Indicate the relationship of ideas, such as cause and effect.
- What do the verb tenses emphasize?
- What might have been the author’s concern that motivated this section of the letter?
- How are God’s children identified? How does the contrasting idea impact the author’s message?
- Give a title to this section.
- Explore the answers to any questions that may have arisen as you studied the passage.
- Are there changes in our lives and in our relationships this passage invites us to consider?
- You may want to consider if there any ways that you keep on sinning.
- Is there a reason for gratitude in prayer?