Read 1 JOHN 2:15-29 three times. If possible, use a printed out version or copy into a Word document so that yo can use colors, underlining, arrows and highlighting. For more details on Inductive Study, see the page in the header.
OBSERVATION – What does the text say?
- Highlight the key words or phrases, using different colors to group related ideas.
- Underline the connecting words and prepositions. Notice what these words introduce or link.
- List the comparisons in each paragraph creating a chart.
INTERPRETATION – What did the text mean to the original listeners?
- Create a chart of the comparisons. The titles below may be useful, or create your own.
- What might have been the writer’s concern that prompted the concerns and warnings?
- Analyze the contrasts horizontally in the chart: What are the similarities?
- What did the original listeners understand by “the last hour”?
- What questions emerge as you examine the passage?
WHAT IS LOVED
REASON FOR WRITING
APPLICATION – How does this text apply to our lives?
- What are the words of encouragement to you in this passage?
- What action or understanding do you want to incorporate as a result of this study?
- How does this passage speak to current concerns in your congregation?