Life in Christ is a daily, conscious process of putting off our sinful nature, and putting on the nature of Christ. Through the words of Galatians 5, you are invited to look at your own life, identifying the things that need to be put off, and those that need to be put on.
Read/ Galatians 5:13-26
- Highlight or circle the words and phrases that describe the sinful self.
- In your journal, divide a page down the center.
- In one column write these words and phrases under the heading OLD SELF.
- Look over the list. Add words that you think need to be added.
- Consider the meaning of each word, and make a note of any of the words you do not understand.
- Prayerfully read through the list, asking God to show you the characteristics that are part of you now.
- Place yourself in a posture of repentance, and pray the words of Psalm 139: Search me, God, and know my heart;test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
- Listen closely to the guidance of the Spirit. Cross out any words that do not apply to you.
Read/ Galatians 5:13-26 a second time.
- Highlight in a different color, or underline the words and phrases that describe the new self.
- In the second column in your journal, write these words and phrases under the heading NEW SELF.
- Prayerfully read through the list, asking God to show you the characteristics that are already a part of your new self.
- Place yourself in a posture of thanksgiving and remember the words of Ephesians 2:10: For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
- Listening to the guidance of the Spirit, circle the words or phrases that indicate characteristics that are not yet an integral part of who you are.
- In your journal, list three things you would like to take off from your old self. Think of a specific relationship or circumstance where these characteristics impede a relationship.
- List three things you would like to put on to your new self. Think of a specific example from your own life where these characteristics would heal, restore, or improve a relationship.
Pray for grace in taking off the old and putting on the new. Pray for the relationships that you named, and ask God for guidance as you seek, in humility, to heal and restore those relationships. Give thanks.