Leadership: John 17
Read John 17. Highlight the key words that speak about the relationship between God the Father and God the Son.
- What do they do for each other?
- Reflect on this relationship.
- Consider the ways in which they bring each other glory, reveal each other, are one with each other.
- Write down your thoughts.
Read a second time through, this time highlighting (in a different color) the key words and phrases that speak about the relationship of the Son and those who were given to him (his disciples and future believers).
- What has Jesus done for them?
- How does he pray for them?
- What are his desires for them?
- What do these words say about our relationship to God? To the world? To truth?
- Record your reflections.
Although this prayer is for all believers, consider how these words speak specifically about leadership in the church.
- How does this prayer reveal the ways in which Jesus was a leader?
- What is important to him as he anticipates turning over leadership to his disciples?
- How might these same principles look today?
As you ponder these principles, pray for the leaders in your church.
- Pray the words of Jesus, keeping specific leaders and situations in mind as you pray.
- Reflect on how this process affects your attitude toward those who lead in the church today.
- Journal your thoughts.