Lesson 4: 1 Thessalonians 5
Read 1 Thessalonians 5 through once. Read a second time, highlighting the references to light and darkness. Underline the verbs that give instruction (commands).
In your journal, write a description of the children of light, using the following suggestions as a guide:
- Reflect on the descriptions of those who live in darkness and those who live in light.
- What makes the difference?
- Make a list of the verbs of instruction.
- What kinds of behaviors mark the children of light?
- How are these reflected in your life?
- How do you see them in the lives of those around you?
From Paul’s words here, it seems clear that living as children of light requires obedience – not to a set of laws that will save us, but rather as a way of working out the results of our salvation (see Lesson 3 on Philippians 2:12-17).
Pray for guidance, mercy, and a loving heart as you seek to live as a child of the light.