This passage ends with the Jesus’ refrain, Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand. May we all listen and understand, which assumes action as a result.
LISTEN: Read the 4 parables in Luke 14:25-35.
- Read these stories again as you try to imagine yourself present in the historical context of v.25, listening to Jesus. What might be the problem, question or attitude that prompted Jesus to tell this group of stories?
- Read each story separately, allowing a visual image to emerge in your mind.
- What startles you or bothers you or doesn’t seem to fit? Ponder this piece in the context.
- With which story do you most identify?
- What title might you give to any one or to all of these stories?
- Is there a story from your own life that illustrates this same idea?
- Spend some time in silence with God, listening, trusting, being open…
- What do these parables, along with your own life stories, urge you to do now?
- How can these stories guide your congregation?