Read Colossians 1:15-23 at least three times. As you read:
- Highlight the phrases beginning: Christ is . . .
- Highlight the verbs in a different color.
- Underline the words describing what God has done through Christ.
- List the progression in verses 21 and 22: who you were; where God has brought you; who you are now.
- Circle the words or phrases which speak to you most powerfully.
Read verses 11-13 for context.
- Why do you think Paul includes this hymn here?
- What is the purpose of his words in verses 21-23?
Reread the hymn in verses 15-20.
- What impacts you as you read these words? Revisit the progression in verses 21 and 22 and reflect on what this progression has looked like for you personally.
- What tempts you to drift away from the assurance these words provide?
- What steps can you take to stand firm in the truth of these words?
Keep this hymn before you through the week as a reminder of what God has done for you. Pray for strength to stand firm and live in the power of this assurance.