Philippians 3:12-21 Lectio Divina
Prepare: When you are ready to begin, settle into a quiet, comfortable space with your Bible and journal. Close your eyes as you take some deep, cleansing breaths: Inhale slowly, hold for a count of 4, then exhale slowly. Repeat several times. Ask God to open your heart.
- Read all of Philippians 3 to get a sense of the context.
- Read Philippians 3:12-21. As you read, highlight or underline the words that stand out to you.
- As you read a second time, list which of these words or phrases have to do with letting something go, and which of them have to do with holding on.
- Reflect on your two lists.
- Reviewing this list, which items in particular speak to you?
- Compare the lists, noting the differences.
- What is most difficult for you? Reflect on the possible reasons for this.
- Pray for wisdom in discerning what you need to let go in your life and relationships.
- What are you grasping that takes the place of the things that Paul recommends you hold on to?
- Confess and open your heart to the working of the Spirit.
- Consider how letting go and holding on can change some of the specific things in your life – your relationship with God, with those in your inner circle, your work, your church.
- Continue to pray for wisdom and discernment as you seek to be obedient to the things to which God has called you.