Mary’s Son: Luke 1:26-38
Read Luke 1:26-38 to familiarize yourself with the story.
Read verse 26-27. List the significant facts about Mary.
Imagine yourself as Mary. Read the story from her perspective. Reflect on the following questions:
- As Mary, what might be troubling to you about the angel’s greeting?
- As you hear the angel’s words, what change comes over you from your first reaction to your concluding words in verse 38? Contemplate this process.
- What words in particular bring you to the point of acceptance?
Look again at the angel’s words in verses 30-37. Consider the following:
- What does Gabriel say about who Jesus will be?
- What does he say about how this will happen, and what is its significance?
- What does he say as reassurance to Mary?
As you ponder the words of the angel and Mary’s response, what new insights do you gain:
- About Mary?
- About Jesus?
- About Christmas?
Record your reflections in your journal.